The Calling - Kelly Armstrong

"The Calling" is the second book in Kelly Armstrong's AMAZING "The Darkness Rising" triology. The first book (The Gathering) was spectacular, and "The Calling" was even better. Protagonist Maya Delany, Rafe, and their friends are forced to flee the small secluded town where they live due to a deliberately set forest fire. Maya is forced to run for her life, away from the people who want to kidnap and maybe kill her for reasons unknown to her. In "The Calling", Armstrong begins to tie in the currently popular supernatural fiction genre into her story, revealing that the Maya is really a "skin-walker" (werewolf). "The Calling" is mysterious, surprising, sad, exciting and romantic all in one. I could not put it down once I began reading it - I would definetely recommend it to others, especially those who liked books like "The Hunger Games", "The Darkest Powers Triology" and "Hush Hush".

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good book, I would give this a try this summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would you consider this novel to be full of suspense or very predictable?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, tine reader, you absolutely should. But, make sure to read the first book "The Gathering" first! I can assure you, it is just as good as "The Calling" was. I think I might write a review for that as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm..good question summerstar! I would consider it to be suspenseful. There are some books where I read a chapter and I know exactly what is going to happen in the end of the book, but "The Calling" wasn't like that at all. Quite the opposite, actually. I find that one of the reasons I liked it so much. I never knew what was going to happen next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I simply adore reading books filled with suspense!

      Delete
    2. I feel the same way! Sometimes I also find that some books are too predictable . .
      Maybe a happy ending isn't what everyone is looking for!

      Delete
    3. Exactly...it's refreshing to read something different once in a while :)

      Delete
  5. lol you sure read a lot! I'm glad you posted a review on these novels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahaha yes I doo! Thank you :) I will continue to post reviews whenever I can!

      Delete